To listen to your Chirp books in a car, simply pair your device using Bluetooth, or use an AUX or USB cable to connect. Android users can also access their Chirp books using the Android Auto app.
We’ve included some steps to pair using Bluetooth and Android Auto below, but please consult your car manual or contact your manufacturer to confirm compatibility and for more specific instructions.
Once you’ve successfully connected your device to your car, you can listen using the Chirp app’s driving mode. Driving mode features a simpler interface and larger buttons for easy use.
Chirp is now integrated with Android Auto! To listen to your Chirp audiobooks using Android Auto, make sure that you’ve downloaded our app and signed in to your account. Then, launch Android Auto and choose Chirp from the media menu. You should be able to see your library of books, and control playback using Android Auto.
If you have questions about using Android Auto, you can find more information here: Android Auto Help from Google.
Connect using Bluetooth
In order to “pair” your devices using Bluetooth, both devices must be Bluetooth compatible. Once you’ve confirmed compatibility, set both devices as “discoverable” or use the “search for available devices” feature to find and pair your devices.
If you have trouble connecting using Bluetooth, please review the tips below and consult your device manufacturer.
- Check your car’s manual or your device settings to confirm compatibility. Sometimes devices aren’t compatible and you’ll need to use another method to listen in the car.
- Make sure you’re seated in the car before attempting to pair, as the devices need to be in close proximity.
- Confirm that you’ve set both devices to “discoverable” mode.
- Only attempt to pair while your car is parked.
- Try disabling and re-enabling Bluetooth, then attempt to pair again.
Chirp offers a driving mode feature to make listening to your audiobooks more accessible. Driving mode includes a simplified player screen with larger buttons. To take advantage of this feature, you may need to install the latest version of the Chirp app. You can find links to update the app below.
- Please update here if you use an iOS device, such as an iPhone or an iPad.
- If you use an Android device, please click here to update.
Once you’ve installed the latest version of the app, tap on the cover or title of your book to start playing. From the player screen, tap the car icon in the top right corner to enable driving mode.
Once you’ve enabled driving mode, you’ll see a simplified screen with larger buttons. From driving mode, you can track your progress through the current chapter, play/pause, advance or go back 15 seconds, and add bookmarks.
To disable driving mode, tap the car icon in the top right corner again.
Please contact us if you have any additional questions, we’re happy to help!